Tuesday 14 April 2020

Desert Island Psych


After the recent batch of artist anthologies, I figured I'd compile something much simpler. For a few years now I've had the idea of compiling a "Desert Island Disc", where I'd be cast away on a remote island but have just one CD of favourite tracks over the years to listen to. I came to the conclusion it'd be an almost impossible task as there'd be way too many songs to consider, but you never know one day I may attempt it. So, to simpify things, I decided to go with compiling my favourite psych tunes from the 60s & 70s on to one disc. These would be tracks that I loved when I first heard them, and have never got tired of listening to, which would be handy if stuck for several years on this island!

After much deliberating, realising not such a simple task after all, I managed to whittle it down to the 20 tracks listed here. There's no obscurities as such to be found, and quite a few of these tracks will be very familiar to many of you. Once again great thanks to Manerg for finding the excellent cover artwork for this project, I hope you all enjoy!

  1. Mighty Baby - Egyptian Tomb (5:27)
  2. The Seeds - Bad Part of Town (3:25)
  3. The Pretty Things - Defecting Grey (4:27)
  4. The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band - Until the Poorest of People Have Money to Spend (2:16)
  5. Kim Fowley - Wildfire (4:09)
  6. Sweetwater - My Crystal Spider (3:51)
  7. Pink Floyd - Vegetable Man (Peter Jenner mix) (2:29)
  8. The Byrds - Draft Morning (2:55)
  9. Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Electricity (3:05)
10. The Animated Egg - Sock It My Way (3:21)
11. The Beautiful Daze - City Jungle (5:45)
12. The Monkees - Porpoise Song (extended version) (4:10)
13. The United States of America - The Garden of Earthly Delights (2:39)
14. Love - Your Mind and We Belong Together (4:22)
15. The Factory - Try a Little Sunshine (3:32)
16. Kaleidoscope - Dive Into Yesterday (4:44)
17. Euphoria - Did You Get the Letter (5:33)
18. Fifty Foot Hose - Rose (5:05)
19. MC5 - Looking at You (2:46)
20. Twink - Ten Thousand Words in a Cardboard Box (4:29)



7 comments:

Man Erg said...

Yet another excellent comp'
Keep 'em coming. 👍

Unknown said...

This one was particularly good. thanks!

pompel said...

Many thanks, this is a good one.

Stu said...

Fantastic album.....many thanks for this.

Anonymous said...

love 'em all
&
great mix!

thx

zipper said...

Nice comp...thanks!

Rhodb said...

Great share The Monkees MC5 and Mighty Baby on one compilation Wonderful work