Wednesday 26 December 2018

Jimmy Campbell - That's Right, That's Me



So far a career defining anthology of Jimmy Campbell has yet to be released, I guess he's a bit too "obscure", as Allmusic.com describe him. Campbell (4th January 1944 – 12th February 2007) never received the recognition he deserved during his short recording career, so I decided to make my own tribute to him. His first 2 bands The Kirkbys and The 23rd Turn Off were featured in a fine collection released in 2004 by RPM Records, "The Dream of Michaelangelo", which I highly recommend. I've included here a few tracks from that collection, including The 23rd Turn Off's "Michael Angelo" (which Will Sergeant rates as among his top ten psychedelic records) and, in my opinion, the even better "Flowers are Flowering" which unfortunately was only ever recorded in demo form.

Campbell recorded 3 solo albums between 1969-1972, and 1 album with Rockin' Horse in 1971. If you like Abbey Road period Beatles or Badfinger you'll love their album "Yes It Is". A collection of lost recordings from 1965-1991, named "Troubadour", appeared in 2012, though many of the early recordings actually featured on the aforementioned "The Dream of Michaelangelo" anthology. The intimate live solo recordings from 1977 which feature heavily on "Troubadour" are interesting to hear, but the quality of the recording is rather sub-standard so I decided not to include any of them. 

Like most of my compilations, album of origin (and year of release) I have tagged in the comments section of the files. Enjoy!

  1. Jimmy Campbell - That's Right, That's Me (3:48)
  2. The Kirkbys - It's a Crime (2:13)
  3. Jimmy Campbell - Mother's Boy (2:56)
  4. Jimmy Campbell - When You're Coming Home (3:49)
  5. Rockin' Horse - Biggest Gossip in Town (2:45)
  6. The 23rd Turn Off - Michael Angelo (2:22)
  7. Jimmy Campbell - When I Sit Down to Reason (1:20)
  8. Jimmy Campbell - In My Room (4:17)
  9. Rockin' Horse - You Say (3:37)
10. Jimmy Campbell - Salvation Army Citadel (3:00)
11. Jimmy Campbell - You'll Break My Heart in Two (2:12)
12. Jimmy Campbell - Closing Down the Shop (2:34)
13. The Kirkbys - Don't You Want Me No More (2:23)
14. The 23rd Turn Off - Leave Me Here (2:51)
15. Jimmy Campbell - On a Monday (3:21)
16. Jimmy Campbell - Half Baked (4:09)
17. Rockin' Horse - I'm Trying to Forget You (3:31)
18. Jimmy Campbell - Adrian Henri's Party Night (2:58)
19. Jimmy Campbell - Snow Covered Street (3:36)
20. The 23rd Turn Off - Flowers are Flowering (3:16)
21. Jimmy Campbell - Michelangelo (2:55)
22. Jimmy Campbell - Loving You Is All I Do (3:13)
23. Jimmy Campbell - By the Light of a Lamp (2:34)
24. Rockin' Horse - Yes It Is (2:13)
25. Jimmy Campbell - Another Vincent Van Gogh (2:02)
26. Jimmy Campbell - Don't Leave Me Now (5:47)

Tracks 3, 7, 11, 15, 18, 21 & 25 from the album "Son of Anastasia", 1969
Tracks 1, 8, 12, 16, 22 & 26 from the album "Half Baked", 1970
Tracks 5, 9, 17 & 24 from the album "Yes It Is", 1971
Tracks 4, 10, 19 & 23 from the album "Jimmy Campbell's Album", 1972
Tracks 2, 6, 13, 14 & 20 from the anthology "The Dream of Michaelangelo", 2004




9 comments:

gregg said...

I fell in love with the Half Backed album over 40 years ago...I knew nothing about Jimmy Campbell but I loved the cover art, and it was on Vertigo Records...so I bought it...I was blown away by the songs, arrangements and the production. I've got it on vinyl and also found it CD. Great songwriting and if you can find it GET IT!

Paladin64 said...

Hi,
so many thanks for your great and lot of work doing on your fantastic blog.
I wish you all the best for the next year coming.
Many thanks and nice greetings from German.
Erwin

slugbucket said...

Thank you Erwin for the kind words, all the best for next year to you (and everyone else who follows my blog) too.

slugbucket said...

On another note, following the Jimmy Campbell anthology I've just compiled... Is there an artist/band that any of you love but feel there has never been a satisfactory (or any at all) anthology put together? If so I'd welcome any suggestions and see what I can come up with. One thing though, it has to be someone I actually like! Cheers.

DeePeeGee said...

Loved the Jimmy Campbell anthology, thank you for putting that together. How about these suggestions for anthologies...Gary Pickford-Hopkins (Eyes of Blue, Big Sleep, Wild Turkey, Chick Churchill, Rick Wakeman, Tetsu & The Good Times Roll Band); Pete Solley (Paladin, Snafu to name a couple); Peter French (Brunnung Sunflower Blues Band, Leafhound, Atomic Rooster, Cactus, Randy Pie; Graham Bell (Skip Bifferty, Bell & Arc, Every Which Way, Snowy White); Nick Simper; Mike Patto. Maybe someone in there that accords with your tastes...

slugbucket said...

Thanks for the suggestions, DeePeeGee, and while I'm familiar with some of the artists you've listed (like Patto & Simper) I have nowhere near enough material or knowledge of them to put together a fitting anthology. More suggestions are very welcome though...! Cheers.

zipper said...

I'm familiar with The Kirkbys & 23rd Turn Off but less so with Jimmy Campbell's solo work so thanks for the opportunity to dive in. As for suggestions, well I know Dylan has had more comps to his name than most but there's never been a compilation of his 60's & 70's singles UK & U.S. releases some of which are edited versions of his album tracks. Just a thought....

Judas Iscariot said...

I'd like to bring to any Jimmy Campbell fans attention this "tribute" album just released. Makes a great 'alternative' playlist of some of Jimmy's great songs by various artists from around the world called Ex Norwegian and Friends Sing Jimmy Campbell: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nygMMJ-dNqhq6FdFRdkUEEcFjbV9j1MaI

Stu said...

I have always admired the work of Jimmy Campbell especially with the band The 23rd Turn Off.
A wonderful singer-songwriter that is truly missed.
Thanks again Sludg.
Love & Peace
Stu