Friday 9 October 2020

Long Fin Killie - Kismet 1994-1997

 

 
 
Short bio:
Long Fin Killie, from Scotland, released three albums and several EPs on the British avant-rock label Too Pure in the 1990s. The core line-up consisted of Luke Sutherland (vocals, violin, guitar, mandolin, bouzouki, saxophone, hammer dulcimer, thumb piano, etc.), Colin Greig (electric and upright bass), David Turner (drums/percussion), and Philip Cameron (electric guitar). In 1997, Turner was replaced by Kenny McEwan on drums.Their name was taken from a family of ornamental freshwater fishes known as killifishes, noted for their interesting drought survival and reproductive habits.

The members were all highly trained, enabling them to create complex, atypical music which usually featured hypnotically-bowed violins/celli, jazz-influenced drumming, and meandering ambient passages. Allmusic cited them as having "staggering levels of musicianly talent". Vocalist Luke Sutherland often delivered his cryptic, highly literate lyrics in an androgynous falsetto voice. Almost always provocative, he took on homophobia and racism, Sutherland's slithery, gentle voice often switching from pulse-racing eroticism to angered politicism on a dime, which was only reflected by the band's lush, repetitive, Krautrock- and post-punk-informed rhythms.

I have no recollection of where/when I first heard Long Fin Killie, most probably it was during a period of the 1990s when I was buying more or less anything released on the Too Pure label. I'd never really heard a band like them before, though I could detect certain influences, and I don't think I've really heard anyone like them since their demise. As the short bio states, they released 3 albums and several EPs, and playing through them the past week or so I didn't come across one track I disliked, which made compiling this anthology even tougher. Eventually I managed to cobble together the tracks which stood out for me the most.

Too Pure were, for me, one of the best UK independent labels of the 90s. Manerg suggested to me a few months back that I should do a compilation of the label. An excellent idea, and something I aim to do before the end of this year. For now, I hope you enjoy this collection of one of their finest bands, and in these still hazardous times stay safe and well! As ever, info containing track origin & year of release is tagged in the music files and in the download file.


 1. Flower Carrier (4:16)
 2. Clinch (4:08)
 3. Chrysler (3:24)
 4. Matador (6:21)
 5. Boy Racer (3:07)
 6. Love Smothers Allergy (5:58)
 7. Rhino (3:41)
 8. Flaccid Tabloid (3:15)
 9. Kismet (4:10)
10. Butterbelly (7:50)
11. Hollywood Gem (3:03)
12. Lipstick (3:57)
13. Coward (5:16)
14. Nation (2:42)
15. Ringer (3:55)
16. Fresher (2:56)
17. Stacked (2:34)
18. Love Life (3:26)
19. The Lamberton Lamplighter (5:07)

 
 

6 comments:

zipper said...

Don't know the band but thanks for sharing.

Maxime said...

Hi,

Really fan of the band...absolutely singular and brilliant !

I am looking for this four tracks :
Suki
Vanilla
Heads Of Dead Surfers - Featuring – Mark E. Smith
Angel

if ever...send me an email at : maxime.meunier@orange.fr
Thanksa lot
Maxime

dominic said...

Hey, I am a big fan of this band as well!! I have all their releases as physical copies and to this day believed I have heard all of their songs (even their more obscure ones) but now that I see the compilation you've made here it proved me wrong: I have never heard of Fresher before! Where did you find this song? Thank you so much!!

slugbucket said...

Fresher, as far as I know Dominic, was only ever issued on the US release of Valentino.

Maxime, I don't have Vanilla myself, that's one of the very few tunes to elude me. Heads of Dead Surfers isn't hard to find, it's on their debut album! The other 2 tracks can be found if you look hard enough for them, I only recently bought the EP which had Angel on it.

Thanks for the comments.

oiche said...

Great compilation from a much underrated band. Praying for some vinyl reissues. Many thanks for this!

Anonymous said...

oh man, boy racer but not suki???
great compilation anyhow, incredible band.